DNA & the Friends of Old Tidemill School Garden CALL TO ACTION

ORGANISED OBJECTION TO PLANNING DEVELOPMENT AT OLD TIDEMILL SCHOOL:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-old-tidemill-wildlife-garden

IS TAKING PLACE THIS SATURDAY 24th September IN THE DEPTFORD LOUNGE – Meeting room 1 & 2.

THE MEETING TIME has been booked for: 4.20-6pm

Councillors will be making a site visit with the planning team and the Chair of the Strategic Planning Committee taking place on Thursday 29th September is aware that there will be represenation from local groups:

  1. Reginald House residents
    2. Frankham House residents
    3. Friends of Old Tidemill School
    4. DNA & possibly a representative from
  1. Crossfields?
    6. Deptford Society?

7.HAGL – Housing Action Group for Lewisham People?

This call to action is to mobilise support and to co-ordinate the Community’s objections.

Help is needed for making placards for the demonstration planned outside the Committee Meeting:

If you are interested in doing just one placard please email andreaecarey@gmail.com (Note the ‘e’ between my first and surname)

 

Update from Deptford Folk: Proposed Development – Childers Street, SE8

The closing date for responses is 12th September 2016Notice of Proposed Development
DC/16/096613: The Arches: Childers Street

DeptfordFolk have opposed a proposal to convert commercial units on Childers Street into private flats. The area needs businesses and better street safety; our neighbourhood has nothing to gain from this proposal.

Local residents had a meeting with Cllr. Jamie Milne in 2014 (pre-DeptfordFolk) about these units and how they were not being marketed effectively. Residents asked for his help and support to ensure that viable business would be attracted to the units, street safety would be improved and ongoing maintenance carried out. However, as far as we are aware, our local elected representative did not take any action.

Members of DeptfordFolk have been working with the Local Labour and Business Scheme from Lewisham’s Economic Development department to try and secure meanwhile/temporary use of the units for community use eg. gallery, cycle workshop or cafe. However, the developers have pursued another approach.

This area needs business, shops, and amenities. Please respond and ensure this proposal is rejected. Objections online have 1000 characters or email planning@lewisham.gov.uk quoting DC/16/096613. DeptfordFolk full text here.

In your response you could say something like:I oppose the low quality, low natural light residential use in units described as not for habitation whose lack of interface with the street will contribute to an increased lack of safety in the area.I oppose the erosion of SIL/DEA in the area which provides employment opportunities for local people.

I believe there has been little attempt to market the properties or any commitment to maintaining the units to present viable business opportunities

I do not believe adequate consultation with neighbours has been undertaken.

I would support the reclassification of these units to A1/3 usage to allow shops or cafes reflecting the changing demographics, population increase and cycle quietway in the immediate area.

I believe that while there may be low demand for B1 use, in shell condition, fitted out office space would be viable. On this site the LPA’s preference for public-facing uses in ground floor units should ensure options other than residential should be explored before the irreversible housing units are created.

I believe the residential units proposed would have a negative impact on the local area while A1/3 use would lead to positive local regeneration including increased safety, amenity and employment.

If you have tried to make enquiries about this units DeptfordFolk want to hear from you. If this goes to planning we will need evidence to prove that the units have been poorly marketed.

 

 

Stand to be the next Young Mayor of Lewisham on 19th October 2016

Are you 13 -17years and want to get involved in your community? Do you have ideas and want to represent other young people in Lewisham?

All you have to do is to follow the link and complete the pack below and return it by 16th September (details inside)

and/or contact katy.brown@lewisham.gov.uk 02083146313/07957198312 0r
malcolm.ball@lewisham.gov.uk 0208314 6354/ 07957198308

Malcolm Ball, Advisor to the Young Mayor (Lead officer youth participation strategy) 2nd floor Civic  Suite, Catford, SE6 4RU.

& Katy Brown, Advisor to the Young Mayor

Tel: 0208 314 6313 /07957198312

www.lewisham.gov.uk www.b-involved.org

 

 

 

Local Community Groups urge Sadiq to support social/truly affordable housing for local people in Convoys Wharf

Peyps Community Forum, Goldsmiths College, Evelyn Parents Forum, Crossfields Residents Association, Second Wave Youth Arts, Deptford Folk, The Quay Point, Local Residents and DNA have all signed a letter to Sadiq Khan asking him to use his mandate to redress the balance between developers and ordinary Londoners.

Asking the Mayor to re-envisage Convoys Wharf in line with his Housing Plan for London for London would mean that 50% of the homes were truly affordable housing rather than the 15% agreed by Boris!    Stressing the importance of giving “first dibs” to local tenants and first time buyers, Malcolm Cadman, Chair of Pepys Community Forum pointed out that the current plans are “targeted at overseas investors and are likely to end up [as] empty.”  A vast majority of overseas investors leave properties empty, appliances disconnected and sit back and wait for property values to increase to realise  a large profit on their investment.

http://www.pepys.community/voice4deptford/

The London Borough of Islington is the first council in Britain to impose rules to stop flats being left empty. The new planning guidance approved by Islington means that anyone who buys a new-build unit in a development of 20 or more dwellings must be able to prove that the apartment is lived in for at least 14 days in any three-month period. If they can’t, they could face an injunction.  DNA would advocate that this is what Lewisham should do too to put off overseas investors (or any investor) leaving good homes empty when we have so many people (and especially families) on the local housing register urgently needing homes.

 

 

 

 

 

Blackhorse Bridge Development: Planning Committee C meeting 30th June 2016.

DEPTFORD FOLK: PLANNING UPDATE :

Planning Committee C meeting on 30th June 2016

In 2015 Shurgard submitted a planning application to build a storage facility on the site of Trophy House, by Blackhorse Bridge. Lewisham Planning Officers received no local opposition to the 2015 proposal but rejected it for various reasons including allowances for access under Blackhorse Bridge. The developer then submitted another application in 2016 which took into account Lewisham Planning’s notes. Whilst submitting the 2016 application the developer also appealed the council’s decision on the 2015 application (a tactic known as “twin-tracking“). The Planning Inspectorate could see no local opposition or no reason to reject it so the 2015 development was granted full planning permission on June 2nd 2016. This means Shurgard can now build the far worse 2015 proposal, rejected by LBL planning officers, should they wish to (images below).

Meanwhile, representatives from DeptfordFolk and Lewisham Cyclists attended Planning Committee C on May 19th  to object to the developers second application (2016) and got to speak for 5 minutes. As a result of this, the committee deferred the decision and asked Shurgard to meet with DeptfordFolk and Lewisham Cyclists to find a compromise.

DeptfordFolk and Lewisham Cyclists met with Shurgard and gained some concessions on the landscaping in front of the development with a view to opening the route under Blackhorse Bridge for cyclists and pedestrians. The long therm goal is to re-open Canal Approach, and allow the creation of a safe way to cross Evelyn Street and improve connectivity not just for local people but across North Lewisham

Despite the many objections on the grounds of heritage, job creation and the impact of this development on our neighbourhood DeptfordFolk now has to support the 2016 application with the concessions on the external landscaping. If DeptfordFolk continues to oppose Shurgard’s 2016 proposal they will probably decide to build the 2015 proposal for which they have been granted full planning permission.

If you opposed the 2016 development you will have received a letter inviting you to the Planning Committee C meeting on 30th June 2016. DeptfordFolk will attend and support the 2016 proposal on the proviso that the changes agreed are included in the application.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to submit a comment and to the people who attended the Planning Committee meeting in May.   DeptfordFolk will send an update on the outcome of the 2016 Shurgard proposal after Planning Committee C meeting on June 30th.